_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Euthanizing my bike


My bike was skipping sprocket teeth when I tried to pedal hard, so I brought it in to Light Street Cycles for service. Unfortunately, they called me later in the day to tell me that it needed more than a tuneup, it would cost between $120 and $160, and that it might not be worth it to put that much money into it. I sheepishly admit that it felt like the vet was calling to tell me it was time to put my dog to sleep. After all, I've had the bike for more than 6 years, and have ridden it almost every day for the last three or so.

So they're holding off on the work while I think about it over the weekend. Looking around, it seems like I'd want to spend about $400. I ride enough that investing in a decent bike would be worth it, but worrying about a $400 piece of equipment getting stolen might be the deciding factor leading me to just get my Trek repaired.

I definitely need to act fast, either way. It was gorgeous outside today, and it just about killed me to take the Hopkins shuttle to work.

No comments: