_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday, December 08, 2006

Food, glorious food

I've spent more time than usual thinking about food in the past few months. Not sure why, exactly, but I've noticed the trend.

Not that I have a lot of time to make decent food these days. So it's a good thing that this is a big week in takeout food here in Charles Village. For one, today is opening day for the new Chipotle in the condo development on St. Paul Street. Much as I resent its yuppifying influence and McDonalds ties, I have to admit that it's a pretty good, pretty big burrito for $5.50.

More satisfyingly, I stumbled upon this new counter service Trinidadian place only a couple blocks from our house. Susie and I both tried it last night, and it's really good. The co-owner is this very friendly guy who took the time to explain all of the stuff we were ordering, and to pack little containers of their four chutneys/salsas (hot, mild, mango and tamarind) for us to try with our roti (flat bread with stuff on top). I got the veggie one, and it came with an enormous mound of seasoned green beans, pumpkin, squash, chickpeas, potatoes and some greens I didn't recognize. It was delicious, though the hot chutney nearly incapacitated both of us. Anyway, I think I'll be heading there every week or so.

Now I've made myself really hungry, of course...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it helps your conscience, and if you weren't aware: McDonald's no longer owns Chipotle. It's now an independent, publicly-traded company. Also, I recently discovered that, according to Wikipedia, Chipotle has some secret menu items, including quesadillas.

Teague said...

Huh, I didn't know they had sold their stake...that's interesting.

Chipotle had their pre-grand-opening free burrito night yesterday. The line was around the block, so it really wasn't worth it. I imagine the joint will do very well...you can just tell the Hopkins undergrads have been jonesing for it.