_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Songs of the Moment (An occasional feature)

> Sufjan Stevens - Jacksonville
Davin gave me Illinois for Christmas, and I had heard a lot of people say it was good, but man...it's awesome.
> Liars - Grown Men Don't Fall In the River, Just Like That
Hearing this band proclaim "we got our finger on the pulse of America" is excellent. They clearly don't in the sense that it's usually used, but if you take it to mean that they are keen observers, then it works and hints at how empty the typical use of that phrase is.
> Modest Mouse - Heart Cooks Brain
"I'm trying to get my head clear, I push things out through my mouth, I get refilled through my ears"
> Fog - Pneumonia (Coldcut's Uptight Duck Remix)
Okay, I'll admit that I recently spent $9 to order the Pneumonia single from Ninja Tune just so I could get this remix, which we had back at KRLX at Carleton. It takes what is already one of my favorite songs and adds this great plucked string part and some other tweaks that play off of the dreariness nicely.
> Wilco - Company In My Back
> The Pipettes - Pull Shapes
Extremely catchy retro sound from a trio who surely induce many indie guy swoons.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I remember listening to your show, probably fall '02, when we would get nervous that maybe you wouldn't play the Fog song, but you always came through because, along with St. Thomas' "The Cool Song," it was the very essence of Teague-spawned radio.

Teague said...

Heh, I'm impressed you remember it so well. My Old-Faithful-like reliability was due mostly to the fact that I really like both of those songs, yet I didn't have either one in my personal collection...so everyone got to sit in on my once-per-week listening session.

Actually, I had forgotten about "The Cool Song." I just bought it on iTunes...