_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Most likely to...

Last night I met up with a high school classmate, Elise, who I haven't seen in eight years -- I had found via Facebook that she just moved to Bethesda. It was cool to catch up after all this time; she's in town on a fellowship at NIH as part of her medical program.

It occurred to me that we had both been voted "Most Likely to Succeed" in high school. (In the accompanying yearbook photo, we improvised on the photographer's suggestion that we look like we were being competitive by having Elise hold me in a headlock.) I mentioned this, and her quite logical reaction was, "So, are we successful?" Which, for one, highlights the absurdity of the designation, since it strongly implies a narrow definition of success, but it also draws your attention to just how long it takes to settle into adult life these days, since I don't think most people our age feel comfortable answering that question, even given their own definition.

No comments: