_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Turning over a new leaf

...a new mutant leaf, that is! I went out for a bike ride late this afternoon and found this:

I'm not sure what kind of tree this is, but the leaves are huuuge. I was on a bike trail that's a branch off of Rock Creek; it's not very heavily used, and it was covered with fall leaves, so I had to be careful. But these ones are trouble, you could practically get your front and back wheel on one at the same time...here's where I found it in case you want to get one of your own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not positive, but if I remember from my 5th grade leaf project, I believe you have a Bigleaf Magnolia on your hands there.

Teague said...

Ah, thanks! You appear to be correct. They got real creative with the name, didn't they? Actually, according to the range map on the linked page, they're not even supposed to be in DC/MD...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, super inventive name. There was one on the block I grew up on (also not in the supposed range). They are kind of weird looking trees, but I remember that all of us kids got a really big kick out of how big the leaves get.