_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Midwestern Glory

I'm in Ohio. Though I might not want to live in the less urban parts of the midwest, it can be an antidote to DC. Last evening the weather was beautiful and I walked from our state highway motel into the nearby old-school small-town downtown. It was kinda cool, with nice residential neighborhoods around it, and I found used copies of Middlesex and The Road at the book store.

More importantly: Today we ate lunch in the cafeteria, and I got the lasagna special. It comes with two sides. Perusing the selection, I saw some small plastic containers smushed full of pale green goop [flash of recognition] -- pistachio salad! PISTACHIO SALAD! They had this in the dining hall at Carleton every couple weeks (Cool Whip, cottage cheese, pistachio pudding mix, crushed pineapple, mini marshmallows, and a very tiny amount of actual pistachios), and everyone thought I was crazy for loving it so much. It had been almost 5 years since I'd had it, and it was a very happy reunion.

1 comment:

lj said...

Ha! You can take the East-coaster out of the jello, but not the, uh...well, something like that.