_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday, June 16, 2008

Gardening

Today I ate my first thing from the garden -- the lettuce in the salad I brought to work. It was very tasty, though I made a note to myself to get a lettuce mix with less arugula next year.

Here's what the garden beds looked like in late April when I was in the middle of tilling them:


The pile of weeds I took out of them (now being composted):


I haven't used my car since January, and I was determined to get this stuff home without one. I did get a couple weird looks on the way home.


And here's what the garden looks like now:


It's coming along pretty well, with the first tiny green tomatoes now visible. The cast includes:
  • tomatoes (Better Boy, Yellow Plum, Old German, Cherokee Purple)

  • green garlic (found in garden beds, as seen in first picture)

  • zucchini

  • lettuce mix

  • broccoli

  • carrots

  • green beans (two varieties)

  • dill, basil, mint (in pots)


If you come visit in a month or so, it may be all-you-can-eat tomatoes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jealous! The main thing I wish I had and don't is a garden. (and salmonella-free tomatoes...)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Aw, I think we have the same compost bin. Beautiful garden! Mine is in containers, which is good for moving plants to catch sun but bad for growing anything substantial.