_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Weekend away


I took a couple days off at the end of last week and spent a long weekend with my parents in Hilton Head, SC. They picked me up on the drive down there, and I took the train back to DC today while they stay for a full week. It worked out well, and it was great to get a bonus weekend of hanging out with them at a time of year when I don't usually get home to visit.

I brought my folding bike with me, and got my parents on (rented) bikes for the first time in a while. We did the full-on tourist thing, going mini golfing and riding to the beach. (A couple more photos are on Flickr.)

The trip back on Amtrak was cool, seeing all the tiny southern towns -- it mostly made me want to hop off the train with my bike and ride around. Many of the places make it feel as though the train has somehow taken you back 20 years. And since I only took a backpack's worth of stuff with me, once I got to DC, I just unfolded my bike and rode home.

No comments: