_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday, May 04, 2009

NYC


I had a good long weekend in NYC hanging out with Alex, Nina, and Shane. I went to the Whitney with Alex to see the Jenny Holzer show, Protect Protect. We both thought it ended up being a bit underwhelming, but there were a couple very cool pieces in a different temporary exhibition, so it was okay. At MoMA, there were a couple excellent photo exhibitions.

I had never really been to the financial district before, so I also wandered around there for a while. At the iconic bull sculpture, people can choose two different, er, angles to approach the issue:

It might be amusing to see if there's a correlation between the numbers of photos taken at each end of the bull and the gyrations of the market. (I had always assumed there was also a bear, and it just never gets on camera. But I didn't see one.)

Alex identified a concert (The Dears and Great Northern) at a cool venue, and it was a great show. We were right up against the stage -- I haven't stood that close for a while.

And of course, I went to Doughnut Plant -- strawberry glazed (raised), tres leches (cake), and strawberry jelly with vanilla glaze (raised).

A few more pictures are up at Flickr.

No comments: