_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday, June 05, 2009

Croatian observations

My trip is almost over -- I fly out from Zagreb tomorrow (to London, then home). I will probably write a bit more about it later, and certainly post some pictures, but a few quick observations about Croatia while they're on my mind:

- Croatia is much more Western European than most Americans (i.e. me) realize.
- While driving our rented car in the last few days (VW Golf stick shift!), there was ample time to flip through Croatian radio. Obama, Obama, Obama -- the Middle East speech goosed the coverage a bit, but Laura said it wasn't much more than normal.
- Why does almost every other country have better pastries than we do?
- Why does every other country have better yogurt than we do?

1 comment:

lj said...

I think you can insert almost any food into those last two questions (perhaps with the exception of very American foods, like BBQ, cheeseburgers, and tater tot hot dish). But seriously, good questions.