_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday, June 29, 2009

Search for the Holey Grail

Doug and I both love pastries in general -- we've been known to get into repeated, heated arguments about the best chocolate croissant in Minneapolis. But we both hold doughnuts especially close to our hearts.

I've raved about Doughnut Plant to Doug for years, but he's never had a chance to visit New York. He ran across an article last fall where the author listed what she felt were the 13 best doughnuts in NYC. Increasingly convinced that New York is the center of the doughnut universe (or at least a major life-sustaining solar system), he suggested that we "someday" embark upon an "epic quest" to visit all the doughnut places listed. Well, someday is now! Or, at least, mid-August. Doug, Alex, and I will spend a long weekend consuming an obscene number of calories to see how we think they stack up.

I've plotted our target doughnuts on a Google map. We want to make sure we aren't missing any other places in the city with great doughnuts -- do you know of any bakeries we should visit as part of Doughnut Quest 2009? (I am also soliciting alternative names for Doughnut Quest 2009.)

2 comments:

David S said...

in case you're ever in Seattle, you MUST go to Cafe Besalu and have their croissants, quiche, etc. Easily the best croissants I've ever eaten in the states.

Matthew said...

boy am I jealous... I hope you extensively document this quest, so I can experience it vicariously.