_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday, February 08, 2010

Recovery

I went to Capitol Hill again today for a Super Bowl party. (Conveniently, I didn't have to work very hard at my annual ritual of pretending to care about football, as there was fairly little attention paid to the game.) I was going to take Metro (which is running on the underground sections), but when I arrived at the Columbia Heights station, they announced that it would be 30 minutes until the next train. Given that I would likely have also had to wait a long time for the transfer to the Red Line downtown, I decided to walk instead. I covered the 4 miles in just over an hour, which is pretty good considering the sorry state of sidewalk-shoveling. (I would like to self-righteously note that the area in front of my house is pristine -- you can see the sidewalk!)

In the course of my walk, I was surprised how snow-covered the streets still are. Despite sunshine today, nearly all roads, even major ones, are covered with packed snow. Side streets can verge on impassable. Metro has announced that tomorrow they will still only be running underground portions, and only a few bus lines will operate (and those only from 9am to 7pm). So I think it's safe to say that we haven't quite recovered from the storm. My office is closed tomorrow. Possibly complicating things further, the Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for Tuesday into Wednesday for the "potential for 5 or more inches of snow."

Anyway, I was going to brave Metro on the way home tonight, but as I left the party, there was a taxi dropping people off at the corner. Even though I'm very stingy when it comes to spending money on cabs, I took the opportunity, and it was a $20 well-spent. (Interestingly, when the cabbie made a remark about there being a lot of people out this evening, I made reference to the Super Bowl, and he said "The Super Bowl?". He did not know what it was, or that it had happened today. He was from Pakistan, and I explained that it was the championship match at the end of the American football season.)

No comments: