_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday, July 30, 2010

Alaska

Hey, look at that -- I'm in Alaska! The photo above is my view from the ferry as I write this (still at dock in Juneau).

A few observations, appropriately bite-sized for phone blogging;

- While waiting for the bus at the Juneau airport, a pickup truck pulled up with a bumper sticker that read "Honk if you're drunk." Just after that, a VW Vanagon pulled up and a guy with a bushy beard got out and carried a big barrel of something into the terminal, then came back out and drove off.
- The cruise ships that dock in Juneau literally dwarf the city itself...at least in physical size, and probably in population as well.
- I bought a sandwich (at Subway, blah) to take on the ferry with me and asked for provolone on it. "This is Alaska," the woman behind the counter said, "we don't have provolone...we don't even have Swiss."

Overnight ferry to Petersburg, where I'll hang out with Melati for a few days. Then a two-day ferry ride to Seattle, for a long weekend there with David and others. That will be followed by a two-day train trip to Minneapolis, where I'll hang out for almost a week before heading home. Should be awesome.

No comments: